1. PRAY FOR GOD’S GUIDANCE
- Always begin with prayer. Only God can show you what His intentions and His best is for your church.
2. DISCOVER YOUR CHURCH’S NATURAL AFFINITY (DNA)
- Do you already have a connection?
- Do you have a missionary sent out to a particular place already?
- Did you have a team go on a mission trip where they felt a particular connection where they served?
- What are the spiritual gifts/skills of your church members? What people groups live near your church or its members?
– Who do you meet at local hotels, fast food?
– What about the physicians of your church?
– Check www.peoplegroups.info to find groups in your area
- Does one place keep coming to mind in your corporate prayer times?
3. DETERMINE THE CHURCH’S EXPECTATIONS
- Is your desire to connect to an unreached people group for prayer? Are you ready to pray consistently and continually? To pray God will send workers?
- If prayer is the only commitment your church is ready for go to CompassionNet and sign up for prayer plus.
- Is your church ready to pray AND connect with a missionary on the field to join their strategy for reaching a people group – going on multiple volunteer trips, engaging in their strategy, praying specifically for their needs?
- Is your church ready to pray AND to EMBRACE and unreached people group that has no missionary assigned to them?
- Are you ready to study the people, develop the strategy and take ownership of an unreached people group?
4. WORK WITH CHURCH LEADERS AND IDENTIFY A MISSION “CHAMPION”
- Has God laid a particular part of the world on the heart of one or more church leaders?
- Are they ready to Bind ways to take the Gospel there?
- Who in your church will become the “point person” to communicate with the “field”?
- Is this person willing to be trained in security measures?
- Can this person help influence the congregation?
- Are they willing to lead teams and work with leadership in the region of your unchurched people group?
- Do you feel led to reach a mega-city or a rural area or something in between?
- Are they opportunities available that might help you discover the region of the world God is leading you to?
- Has your state convention or local association selected a UPG?
- Assign teams or individuals to research various regions/people groups then pray.
- If you feel led to a specific region, but haven’t discovered a people group, talk to mobilization specialists for your state.
6. WHEN GOD DIRECTS YOU TO A SPECIFIC UNREACHED PEOPLE GROUP, PRAY AND CELEBRATE GOD’S DIRECTION
- Prayerfully agree to follow His leadership.
- Find ways to bring the whole church into the process.
- Meet with church leaders and Bind a way to celebrate the direction.
7. COMMUNICATE, FOLLOW THROUGH AND KEEP YOUR COMMITMENTS
- Learn from the field personnel in your region
- Connect with other churches to multiply your efforts
- Communicate with field personnel as your team trains and prepares.
- Do what you say you will do!
- Follow-through will lead to more opportunities.
- Evaluate your role every year.